Essential Application Management with Puppet
A Puppet module to easily manage and configure
EVERY application on EVERY Operating System
- A quick, easy-to-use, standard, coherent, powerful interface to install applications and manage their config files.
- Out-of-the-box and easily expandable support for most common Operating Systems
- Modular data source design and support for an easily growing set of applications.
- Smooth coexistence with any existing Puppet modules setup: you decide what to manage
- Optional shell command (tp) which can be used to install, test, query for logs any tp-managed application.
Tiny Puppet contents
Puppet user defined types (defines) to:
- Install applications’ packages and manage their services (
- Handle eventual relevant repos, allowing to choose between native distro repos or the ones from upstream developer (
- Manage applications configuration files (
- Manage whole directories (
tp::dir), also from an SCM source.
A single, optional, class that installs the tp CLI command and parameters to manage directly via Hiera all the applications to configure and install (
Puppet Bolt tasks to run tp commands from a central place:
- Check is all the managed applications are running correctly (with application specific checks available) (
- Show general and specific information about the managed applications (
Show the real version (not the package one) of the managed applications (
The expected users are both experienced sysadmins who know exactly how to configure their applications and absolute beginners who simply want to install an application.
To see it in action check the psick and psick_profile modules in the PSICK page.